|Photo Collection||The Spetz History|
1608 - founding of Quebec and the Church in New France
1615 - first vist of Champlain and missionaries to Huronia
- the epic mission work and martyrdom of Brebeuf and His Brethren
- winter mission trips to the Petuns living in this area followed the Saugeen River
1649 - the burning of Ste Marie Among the Hurons
1853 - 1961 - Mildmay’s first Catholic settlers, small in number, were visited by Rev. Caspar Matoga, S.J.: Rev. William Blettner, S.J.; and Rev. George Laufhuber, S.J. periodically
- the Catholic pioneers journeyed mostly to Formosa for their spiritual ministrations because Formosa received more frequent visits from these Jesuits than did Mildmay.
- When a log church was constructed in Deemerton in 1861, the Mernersville (Mildmay) Catholics attended there.
1861 - 1880 - when Rev. Archangelus Gstir, O.S.F., became resident pastor of Formosa, he tended to the spiritual welfare of the Mernersville flock until 1865.
- His successor was Rev. J.J. Schmitz, who continued this work until 1866,
- Rev. Francis Rassaerts was named in charge of Carlsruhe in 1866 and looked after this charge from that headquarters.
1880 - 1895 - When Deemerton became an independent parish, Mildmay was attached as a mission.
- Rev. George Brohman was the first pastor at Deemerton.
- in 1877, the first church was erected , dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
- At that time, there were only 20 Catholic families in Mildmay.
- Father Brohman was transferred to Formosa from Deemerton in 1895 but continued to serve the Mildmay Catholics from that centre.
- It was under his leadership that the first separate school was established in Mildmay in 1880, the church being used for a school until 1881, when the school building was completed.
- Father Brohman built the first Mildmay rectory in 1885, and secured a bell for the church.
1895 - Mildmay became a parish.
- For a few years immediately preceding, Rev. Joseph Wey pastor of Deemerton also celebrated Mass at times, substituting for Father Brohman.
- In 1895, while Rev. Clement Brohman was pastor, the former convent was sold and a residence closer to the church was purchased.
1903 - The first pastor of Mildmay was Father Michael Halm continuing in office until 19?? returning again from 1915-1917
1912 - Construction of the present church was begun in April, while Father Lehman ?? was pastor.
- The cornerstone was laid on July 23, 1912 and it was dedicated to the Sacred Heart, November 23, 1913.
- in 1915 - 1917, Father Halm returned for a two-year term of office
1917 - Father Alphonsus C. Montag was placed in charge
- and continued as parish priest for 34 years until 1951
1951 - Rev. William J. Nolan was appointed pastor.
1958 - Father J.G. Hoffarth succeeded Father Nolan and remained until 19601960 – 1965 - Rev. W.L Ryan
- the church was redecorated
- while changes were made, fortunately little of the old was lost (except the communion rail)
1965 – 1969 - Rev. V. W. McNamara
1969 – 1973 - Rev. H. J. Schmuck
- on July 29, 1969, the church was damaged by fire and smoke
- this necessitated another redecoration of the interior of the church.
- Many of the old wall and ceiling decorations were painted over and the 3 sanctuary murals were lost
1973 – 1976 - Rev. Wm. Sherlock
1976 – 1980 - Rev. V.H. Cullaton
- a new heating system was installed
June 1980 – February 1982 - Rev. L.J. Quinlan
February 1982 to June 1982 - Rev. D.J. Noon, administrator
1982 - - Rev. John Stapleton was appointed pastor
- the church steeple was repaired at a cost of $35,000.00
- new Carpet was installed through the benevolence of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Goetz and a donation from the Catholic Women’s League.
More to come