OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
the Orphanage, Lately the wall was covered with a cement coping. The first one of planks was rotten. The turrets for the stations, were too delicate to withstand the rigors of the climate. All the rest is in good state of repair.
The writer was told by Mrs. John Bury that when the cemetery was first laid out and made ready for burials, a collection was taken up to defray the expenses of clearing and fencing. The collector approached a young man named Zeisele, the hired man of a neighboring farmer. The young man demurred and said he should not be asked to contribute to the work because he might never need the cemetery. A short time after, while logging, he was caught between the logs and crushed to death. Thus he was one of the first to need burial there.
CHAPTER X.-SECTION 3.-REV. E. FUNCKEN, C.R.,
THE BEGINNINGS OF THE COLLEGE.
Another enterprise undertaken by Father Funcken in his early years deserves notice, although it did not receive its finishing touch by him then. This is the establishment of an institution for higher learning.
The Jesuits had already contemplated the founding of a college, at first in St. Agatha, then in New Germany, and lastly in Guelph. This had been recommended to them by the Bishop on their way hither.
They made the attempt in Guelph but soon gave it up again for want of professors and proper support by the people.
Father Funcken soon saw the great need of a colleeg for training native boys for, the priesthood. However, he was alone with Brother Glowacki. who had to prepare himself yet for ordination.
In 1859 a young man, David Fennessy, born in Ireland, but coming to Guelph in his babyhood, had received a good education, partly from his father, who was a teacher of parts, partly from the Jesuits, and partly at the Guelph Grammar School and at St. Michael's College, Toronto, was sent by Bishop Farrell, of Hamilton, to Father Eugene to learn German in order that he might later, as diocesan priest, be more useful in the diocese in which there were so many Germans.
Beling endowed with a special talent for languages, this young man soon acquird a perfect mastery of German. At the same time he taught his master of German the English language with fair success. Having more time on his hands than was necessary for this, he gathered a number of the brightest boys of the parish school and taught them Latin and some other branches beyond the scope of the elementary school. Mr. Fennessy had his class in the dining room of the Rectory, which was in the basement.
This was really the embryo out of which the college developed some years later. Hence the names of these early students deserve a mention, particularly because most of them became the first students of St. Jerome's College some years later. Among them were August Kaiser, Peter Kaiser, Simon Herres, Peter Brick, all cousins of each other; Linus Tschirhart, Edward Yenn and several others whose names are not known.
In 1864 the Rev. Dr. Louis Funcken, C.R., came to St. Agatha. He was two or three years younger than his brother, Father Eugene, had been ordained at Roermond, Holland, in 1862, and then went to Rome, where he joined the Con-