OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
gregation of the Resurrection and obtained his degree in the University of the Sapienza. Father Eugene had been at Rome, attending the Chapter of his Community, and brought Father Louis and Father Rassaerts along to Canada.
Father Louis began at once to make arrangements for establishing the long contemplated college. Without means and without professors and with little prospects of students, he set to work resolutely. A short distance from the church on the road to Waterloo he found the old home of Mr. Joseph Wey vacant. It was a log house, well built, but not very large. This he rented and began his college in it. As assistants he had Mr. Fennessy and somewhat later the Rev. Dr. Louis Elena. The writer always had the impression that the college was begun late in 1864. When he undertook to write a brief history of the institution for its Jubilee last summer, he could not find any evidence to show that it was opened so early. It was begun January, 1865.
The college prospered in its small way and promised to grow, so that larger quarters had to be looked for in a more convenient locality. These were found, after much consideration and study, at Berlin, the county town of Waterloo. County, whither the college was transferred in the late fall of 1866.
Early in 1860 the cleric who had accompanied Father Eugene to Canada in 1857 was ordained at St. Agatha by Bishop Farrell. The writer was privileged to assist at the great function, the first of its kind in St. Agatha, and in the County.
During the function the writer, then a lad of 10 years, was close to the Sanctuary, but, on account of the immense crowd, could not see much. There was no tree to climb, as was the case with Zaccheus.
CHAPTER X.-SECTION 4.-THE REV. E. FUNCKEN at
CONTINUED.-THE COLONIZATION COMPANY.
At this time all the vacant land- had been taken up in "Old Ontario." The people had been moving away fast during the last decade, principally to Bruce and Grey Counties: Saugeen as the district was then called. That was taken up very quickly. Where was the surplus population to go became the great question.
In Nov., 1860, Father Eugene Funcken and his fellow priests, Father Glowacki, of Berlin; Father Messner, of St. Clement's, and a number of prominent laymen, tried to solve the important question by forming a Catholic Coloiaization Society, with Antony Kaiser, II., as treasurer. The statutes and list of officers are still extant. Three distinct delegations were sent out in search of land, one to Muskoka, another beyond Lake Lindsay, towards Peterborough, and a third to the Island of Anticosti. All three returned without having found land fit for a Waterloo County farmer. At first the writer wondered why they did not look for land somewhere in the United States. But there the Civil War had broken out and many came from the States to Canada to escape the military service, and no one was anxious then to move into a country in the midst of a terrible civil war.
It is regrettable that the organization of the company was allowed to dissolve. Had they kept it alive until the civil war was over, a systematic colonization of our Catholics might have done incalculable good by forming strong Catholic colonies in many fertile districts. In the absence of systematic