OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
The parish has furnished a large number of
Vocations to various Sisterhoods during the last fifty years. Of
Vocations to the Priesthood there is some dearth.
In some ways the Rev. Louis Julius Walter might
be claimed by St. Agatha. He taught school within the parish (New
Prussia) for the two winter seasons of 1850 and 1851, returned to
Baden, studied for the priesthood, was ordained in 1861. After
serving as assistant and administrator in various parishes, he became
pastor of Hollerbach, Baden, for 32 years, then retired and died at
Freiburg, Baden, Nov. 12, 1913.
Rev. Nicolaus Sorg, the wagon-maker and
school teacher, went from St. Agatha to Montreal and joined the
Jesuits. Some time in 1862 he and Father Vasseur. S.J., gave a
Mission here and in the other centres of the County. Later he
left the Order and became pastor of a New York church for many
years. He resigned and lived a few years retired in some part of
New Jersey. He died in the 90's.
The Rev. Joseph Schweitzer, C.R., was the
first St. Agatha youth who entered the priesthood as far as known.
He was born in the parish and received his elementary schooling
in the Josephburg School. Later he entered St.Jerome's College in
the latter 60's, then went to Rome for his Novitiate and Theological
studies, and was Ordained there. He returned to Berlin and worked
at the College and in the Missions, and was called to Rome in 1911 to
fill responsible offices in the Mother House.
The Orphanage furnished two priestly Vocations in Fathers Ignatius
Perius C.R., and Joseph Phelan.
Rev. Alexander Mayer, now of Detroit,
Mich., also is a native of St. Agatha parish, from Wellesley Village.
Having completed his elementary schooling, his family moved to
Berlin, where he attended St. Jerome's College. Then they moved to
Detroit, where he attended the Jesuit College and was later ordained
for the Diocese of Detroit,
Index List of